Monday, June 23, 2008

"shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits"

I am sorry for the rather adult theme of my title but I think it's the most fitting tribute to the man who created that quote of the seven dirty words. Mr. George Carlin. RIP sir. You were a funny S.O.B.

George Carlin was one of the filthiest comedians I ever saw. However, one thing that set him apart from other 'shock' comedians was that his used of curse words and derogatory slang were part of the comedy and not just thrown in to try and make jokes more funny. I've seen one too many comedians where if I took out the curse words their act wouldn't change.

I learned something cool about George today as I read his obit. He was the first host of Saturday Night Live. Dayum. That by itself if a great thing. That was back when SNL was funny.

I did get to see George Carlin live once. It was about four or five years ago at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA. Unfortunately I came away a little saddened. Somewhere down the line George's cynicism turned into deep bitterness and his normally witty and insightful banter became what I can only describe as angry. His show had it's moments. He was practicing a new opening monologue for an upcoming HBO special which sent Jen and I in a fit of hysterics and throughout the show there were moments where his old self shone through. I try to remember those bits and forget the other crap.

Regardless of his own personal demons, he was generally a funny guy who had a profound impact on American culture. I'm glad I got to see him live. You finally swallowed you limit of saliva.

RIP.

No comments: